Azithromycin Zaha Eye Drop is an azalide macrolid antibiotic that is used in the treatment of various bacterial infections. It is an erythromycin derivative and is effective against various bacteria like Chlamydia pneumonia, Eikenella corrodens, Escherichia coli, Haemophilus influenza, Moraxella catarrhalis etc. Azithromycin is used to treat the conditions such as ear and eye infections, respiratory tract infections, skin infections, sexually transmitted bacterial disease, urinary tract infections, Urethritis, Cervicitis, tonsillitis etc. antibiotics are meant for acting on the bacteria. But it does not work on viruses that cause other allergies like cold and flu.
Understanding the drug
Azithromycin eye drop contains antibiotic having bacteriostatic action and is used to treat various kinds of eye infections caused by bacteria.
How Azithromycin works?
Azithromycin is a bacteriostatic antibiotic. This nature means it prevents the growth of the bacteria by hindering the cell division process and translation process. It aims to stops the reproduction process of bacteria. It interferes in the process of protein synthesis process. Azithromycin bind with the 50 S ribosomal unit of protein and stops the translation process of mRNA.
When should you avoid Azithromycin?
You should not take this drug if you:
- Have any allergy to the active ingredient present in it i.e. Azithromycin
- Have jaundice or other liver disease
- Have any heart problems
- Are pregnant or planning to be pregnant
- Are breast feeding
- Are having Myasthenia Gravis
- Have Arrhythmia
How much to take?
The dosage is only decided by the doctor after the proper assessing of the condition of the patient and various factors such as disease condition, age, and gender and body weight. The dose cannot be fixed as it varies from patient to patient. Always take the dose as prescribed by the Doctor.
What are the strengths available?
Azithromycin is available in strength combination on our website:
- Zaha eye drop 3 ml
Who is the manufacturer?
Azithromycin is manufactured by Ajanta Pharma and is available on our website in packs of 1, 3 and 6 eye drops.
How to take Azithromycin ?
Read the patient’s leaflet available with the pharmacist or follow the simple steps given below:
- Wash your hands before application of the eye drops
- Do not touch the dropper tip or let it come in contact with eye or any other skin surface
- Remove your contact lenses before applying this medicine
- Now remove the cap of the medicine
- Tilt your head back, look upward and pull down your lower eyelid
- Now into the eye pouch created place 1 drop of medicine
- Do this usually twice a day, after every 8-10 hour gap for 2 days and after that use only once a day for the next 5 days
- The time period should be as prescribed by the doctor
- After the application of the eye drop you should keep your eyes closed for 1-2 min.
- Place one finger at the corner of your eye and apply the pressure. This will avoid the draining of the medicine.
- If there is the same problem in the other eye too then repeat the above given steps with the other eye too.
When to take Azithromycin ?
Always take the medicine as instructed by the doctor or pharmacist. So, doctor will recommend the best therapeutic dose for you. Consult your doctor before taking the drug.
For how long should Azithromycin be taken?
Take the medicine as long as recommended by the Doctor. Always ask the doctor before stopping the intake of the drug.
What if you take too much (overdose)?
In case of overdose or in case you accidently put too much of medicines in your eyes then immediately consult with your concerned doctor. Take medical help as soon as possible if you encounter any bizarre reaction.
What if you miss the dose?
Try to take the medicine at the same time each day. This reduces the chances of missing dose. Talk to your doctor if you miss the dose. Don’t double up the dose in order to catch up with the previous one.
What are the side effects of Azithromycin?
Every medicine shows some side effects, same way this drug also have some undesired effects with it. It is not necessary that all the people will encounter same side effects. The side effects may vary from person to person. Azithromycin eye drops show common side effects such as:
- Increased sensitivity to sunlight
- Burning sensation in eye
- Trouble breathing
- Contact dermatitis
- Corneal erosion
- Dry eye
- Eye pain
- Ocular discharge
- Stinging sensation
Are there any possible drug interactions?
Always inform your doctor about the drugs you are taking till date. Give a complete list of prescription or non prescription drugs and any other disease conditions.This way, doctor is able to decide and give you the list of drugs and other things that may interact with Azithromycin. Drugs enlisted below may interact with Azithromycin and can hinder its normal functioning:
- Arsenic trioxide
- BCG vaccine live
What are the things to be taken care of?
- Always take the medicine as per prescription.
- Don’t use the expired drug.
- Never share your medicine with anybody, even if they have the same symptoms.
- Always store the medicine at the room temperature and away from moisture, heat and light.
- Consult with your pharmacist about the proper disposal of the drug.
- Keep a complete record of all the medicines you are taking along with this medicine.